Razor Transmission

Yesterday, right after I showered, I realized I had mistaken my razor for my roommate's and had cut myself while I was shaving. I had rinsed the razor off with hot water and body wash before I used it and there was no visible blood or other bodily fluids on it, but I'm wondering if I'm at risk for HIV if my roommate happened to be HIV+. I was also wondering if seeking PrEP would be wise. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there

Even if this "someone" is infected with HIV, it is highly unlikely that HIV would be transmitted to you by sharing a razor. Transmission through sharing a razor is not a likely event; there is no actual evidence that HIV has been transmitted this way. One explanation for this could be that HIV does not survive in the environment long.

I would not seek PrEP.

Take care,

LHW

IS THERE A CONNECTION AIDS , Sjogren's Syndrome and Connective Tissue Disorders
RE: Ive asked for a few months...