Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DRINKING BEER FROM DIRTY PLASTIC CUP
Mar 18, 2012

Hi,

please ask my question about HIV transmission in this case. A few days ago, while visiting Germany, me and some friends stayed to a hotel. In one of the evening, I was in my friend room, and he asked me if I want some beer, and said yes. As there weren't many glasses in the room, he goes to the room bathroom, and come back with a plastic cup (transparent one). He put beer in, and when I started to drink, I saw on the upper part of the cup (where i put my mouth), some white substance. I drink the beer in a few seconds. I didn't had any cuts on my lips or mouth. Then my friend told me that this cup was used by his son, to wash his son mouth after the son brush his teeth. I have no idea if there was some blood in the cup, or just the toothpaste from his son mouth (possible mixed with blood). But when I checked the cup, the white substance (possible toothpaste), seems to be dried. I didn't used the cup right after someone, but maybe minutes/hours later.

Is there any risk, if in the cup was some blood (mixed in beer), and I drunk the beer, without any cuts in my mouth?

Thank you,

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi You cannot get HIV from casual contact. Sharing glasses with someone with HIV is not a way for HIV transmission to occur.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
HIV
Next
really scared...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.