Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

am I considered Safe?
Mar 18, 2012

Hi Doctor?

Sorry to trouble you again. today is the 30th day of my exposure, I have just did a

Rapid Fingerprick Blood HIV-1/2 P24 Antigen/Antibody combo (HIV Duo Test)

In the website it says that it is recommended by UK guideline in HIV testing 2008 - conclusive at 28 days post exposure.

Result was negative.

And the doctor said that it is 99% conclusive at this 30th day exposure, however in SG, there is a guideline about conclusive result can only be encourage at 3 months after exposure.

My questions are....

1. if my this results is negative today (30th day), how many people got positive at 3 month mark?

2. If i got negative at 3 month mark which is again 99% conclusive, do i need to do another HIV test on the 6 month mark to be 100% percent sure?

3. At this point of time, i have every symptoms of HIV which is quite serious to me. Because i can really felt the pain which i never felt before. my symptoms are.... super headache eye pain painless sore on eye lid 3 painless pimple on lips. 2 blisters on inner lips. 2 canker sore on inner lips. fever. Blocked nose. Blocked Ear. diarrhea. Super flu with running nose and green mucus. neck right lymph nodes swollen with pain. shoulder pain. Joint Pain. Muscle Ache. lower back pain. dirty white/yellow tongue. even chest pain was present 3 days ago. Sore throat. Will all these symptoms cause my today HIV duo test to be false negative? And will it turn out to be positive on the 3 month mark?

sorry for the super worried ignorance questions. But all my symptoms really doubt my Negative results.

Thanks alot for all the answers Doctor. I wish you Success, Healthy and Happy in life (3 main things i've learnt through this worried incident)

Response from Ms. Southall

HI About 5% of people will test positive after testing negative at 30 days. The symptoms you list will not affect the outcome of your test. You can have many other viral infections, cold, flu etc....that can mirror some of the same symptoms of HIV. Your best bet is to get test at the 90 day mark to be sure that it is not HIV.

Hope this helps, be well and stay safe! Shannon

Previous
56 days negative, no penetration, shall I go to 3 month test?
Next
HIV from papertowel-wiped blood?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.