Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My mouth touched an HIV + penis
Mar 13, 2012

Recently, my lips closed on an unprotected penis I later found out was HIV positive. The man I had sex with did not tell me he was HIV + until after and I wore a condom to do anal sex on him. I searched all the forums and it says sex with condom is low risk but I am honestly going insane because nature finds a way right? It has been exactly one day since the act and I am not sick but I know that people could not develop symptoms until 3 months. The guy I was with was on meds and had said he has been told that he is not at the extreme contagious stage because of it. If HIV does not transfer every time we have sex why do so many people get it? What should I do? It is too early to tell for me I think and I have been thinking about getting the more expensive test because I can't concentrate. Just knowing that I had sex with someone who is HIV+ is really scaring me, but I have sex with condoms because you never know if someone is telling the truth about their status so I guess it is the same risk I take everytime. I know that HIV+ people can have healthy sex lives I am just wondering what are the odds for me?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

I would not be concerned. Your risk in this situation was really low. Oral sex has been, and remains a low-risk activity. If HIV was more easily transmitted via oral sex, the rates of infection would be much higher. We know that oral sex is a very ineffective way of transmitting the virus. By using a condom for penetrative sex, you effectively protected yourself against the HIV virus.

I do not think you need to do anything. I do not think you need to be tested for this incident. IF you need a test for your peace of mind, go in at the three month mark and get an antibody test. I am confident it will be negative.

Bottom line: He should have told you his status beforehand, but you protected yourself, and that's what is most important. Assuming that all sexual partners are HIV positive, and acting accordingly, is the best way to keep yourself safe!

In health,

Richard

Previous
rough sex
Next
gonna keep asking

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.