For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Stepped on used condom

Walking outside of a restaurant, I noticed a used condom. I'm not sure how old the condom was or if the person who used it had HIV or not. Assuming the condom was only a couple minutes old, would there be a risk stepping on it. I'm aware that the semen would have to enter the blood stream for someone to become infected. My question is if there is a risk of coming in contact with the live virus in this situation?

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello- No there is no risk from the situation you described. But a good reason to watch where you are walking just the same. Take care,

Dropped undies on women's locker room floor HIV?
nPEP Question