HIV POSITIVE AND PARTNER NEGATIVE

I have been with my husband since 2002. Since then we have been trying for a baby. Unfortunately the doctors found out my tubes are blocked in 2005 but that did not stop us from having sex. In May 2010 I went to a dental hospital who did an HIV and hepatitis test due to an accident i had at the hospital. They found that I was HIV positive. They referred me to an HIV clinic with my husband. I had VL of over 100000 copies and CD4 count of 90 and my husband was negative. Every three month we were going for tests and my husband is still negative. His last test was in September 2011 and still he is negative. Since May 2010 we have been using protection. I am on medication now and my VL is undetectable and still struggle with my CD4Count at 206. Is this normal for my husband considering my initial results. Should I be worried that one day he will be tested positive.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

We would say that at 90 days, a negative HIV result would be considered conclusive. When someone has had a known exposure to HIV, we could be cautious and say, that at six months, the results would be considered conclusive.

Why the change in window periods?

This is because HIV is actually pretty hard to come by. Meaning that in the general public, not many people are infected. When you have a known exposure, the likelihood that you could be infected increases. If someone had a known exposure, and their three month test came back negative, I would encourage them to get a six month test, just to be extra cautious, but I would remain confident that it too would be negative.

In this case, your husband is negative. Continue to use condoms for all acts of penetrative sex, and he will remain that way.

I'm glad to hear that you are undetectable, that is after all the goal of HAART. Here is some information on CD4 levels and what to expect. This link here has additional information as well.

I hope this helps.

In health,

Richard

Is living with HIV worth it?
candida and hiv