Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk of HIV transmission from a HIV+ person`s bleeding wound
Mar 11, 2012

First of all, thanks for what you`re doing. I`m sure anyone who needs to know anything about HIV, from infected individuals to hypochondriacs alike, are very thankful to you guys.

My question is whether or not I should worry after helping a bleeding HIV+ man... I think I know the answer, but I don`t trust my own answer enough to feel relieved.

So... The guy had fallen down on the street very recently when I helped him, (could be anything between 20 seconds to 10 minutes prior), and he had fresh, bleeding wounds on multiple spots, including the hands and face. I opened the door for him and helped him go up the stairs by taking him by the arm. I don`t know if he used his bleeding hands to hold the door handle just before I held the door handle for him, but he held onto my shoulder in order to keep standing. I was also worried that his blood could spill on my eye since he`s a lot taller than I am, but I don`t think it happened. I guess I would have felt it, right? I tried my best not to touch his wounds, and I didn`t have any visible wounds on myself, definitely none that was bleeding at the time. But being the clean freak I am, I use hand sanitizer a lot, so having skin cracks on my hands wouldn`t be too surprising. I didn`t notice any blood stains on my clothing, and didn`t notice any blood of his splattering on my person either. So if I had any direct physical contact with his fresh blood, it would be accidental, but I have no way of knowing for sure if that accident happened or not.

He`s taking medication for schizophrenia, so his HIV+ status might as well be imaginary after all. (I know him personally, and my perception of his HIV+ status is based on his words, not my anxiety-driven assumption). Assuming he`s truthful and really is infected with HIV, and I had cracks on my skin that weren`t bleeding at the time, and I somehow happened to get into direct contact with his blood inadvertently, should I be worried in this scenario?

Note that I used (I think) hand sanitizer on my hands after the incident, but no soap and water.

He was hospitalized on December 13th, so I know the incident took place before that date, which means over 2 months ago. If I have pain in my lymph nodes or other initial infection symptoms now (the stuff that`s expected to appear 2 weeks to a month following exposure), should I attribute it to this incident or would they be somatoform? Am I pretty much safe in terms of HIV transmission or is it worth getting tested *just for this incident*?

Again, I realize I`m probably worrying too much, to the point of getting on people`s nerves, but when I know the man has HIV and he`s bleeding that much right by my side, I can`t help seeking reassurance from a professional. You`ll make me very happy by stating my only problem starting with h is not HIV but hypochondria!

Response from Ms. Southall

Hello there OK so yes you are worrying too much! From what you have described HIV transmission carried a very small risk. Even with cuts on your hands, they would have had to happen at the same time of helping him out. Your body minutes after receiving a cut or scratch puts protection in place for things to enter it. There also wasn't a lot of blood from what you described in the scenarion for there to be a chance for transmission.

I would recommend you getting tested for your peace of mind. It sounds like this would help your mental health and give you a sense of peace that you need.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Could Aids be transmitted through if bodily fluid makes contact with skin with rash ?
Next
cut lips

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.