Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"Contracting HIV" by sharing food/drink with friend
Mar 10, 2012

Hello, I know this may be a redundant question, but I am very paranoid about a situation that occured, and I didn't see a situtation exactly like mine on the forums. I shared a fishbowl drink with a promiscous friend of mine who may or may not have HIV. I had brushed my teeth earlier that day and had scraped some skin of my gum in doing so, which may have been from a burn. I dont think it ever blead, but it is red and like a sore in my mouth. SO I dont know if it could be open enough for something to enter the blood stream. I shared the fishbowl drink, but through different straws. I also took a bite from his burger. I am worried if he had bleeding gums or a sore in his mouth, if there was a chance that I could be infected. Thanks!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There's no risk for HIV in this situation. If we were to break it down, there'd be many reasons that this is not risky. The most important piece is that there's nothing going directly and immediately from your friend's body into yours. Nothing.

It might be useful to ask yourself though "do i feel nervous because i'm not too clear on how HIV/STDs are transmitted?" or "is there something about my friend's sexual conduct that makes me uncomfortable?"

Getting down to the cause of your discomfort can be helpful in providing you relief. People like us who answer HIV questions a lot, we hear this kind of question a lot. There's never any risk to find here. But sometimes there's something else that's making the person nervous.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
HIV risk in this case
Next
"I FEEL VERY SICK MY FAMILY WILL BE AT RISK?"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.