Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV home test
Mar 8, 2012

Hi,

First of all i know im being really stupid, i think i just need it told to me.

After a flippant comment made to me by my doctor, i convinced myself i had HIV, as i used to work in taking blood samples. I looked around on the internet and found a website www.hivkits.co.uk which sold hiv kits to the UK by a company called LabPro.

I bought the test. It was delivered in a air tight sealed packet, involving a finger prick by a lancet. The result was negative but a few days later i have noticed the website has been taken down.

I'm now stressing unbelievably. I know the tests weren't FDA approved but it did say they were USAID approved. Im worried about why the website was taken down literally the day after I got my test. I know this sounds stupid but im concerned i could have gotten HIV from the lancet. Im aware HIV can't live outside the body for long but is this still the case if its in a air tight container?

I'm getting really worried, i keep checking myself over for swollen lymph nodes and can feel some under my chin, which is just adding to my anxiety.

I'd really appreciate if somone could help me put my mind at rest.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Unfortunately, unless it is FDA approved I cannot say for sure how accurate it would be. I am not sure why the website was taken down. It's quite easy to get a rapid HIV test in most areas. You can stop in and have your results in as little as 30 minutes. You can find the nearest facility here.

For more information on approved home testing kits, visit the FDA's website here.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Does my risk increase the window period?
Next
Depression or HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.