is tranfer of HIV possible through cotton balls??

Hi, I joined My Friend who went for a routine testing..after drawing blood from the needle the nurse just asked me to hold that alcohol soaked cotton so that his blood could stop..I just got myself tested for blood sugar 36 hr before this happened and had a small cut from a lancet which was still visible on my right thumb.. So my query is, is transfer of HIV possible through this?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

The answer to your question is no. HIV does NOT live well outside of the body. Also, a small cut from a lancet would not be a risk for HIV transmission in a situation like this. The moment the skin is broken, it starts to heal. HIV needs direct access to the bloodstream for transmission to occur. This would not happen in a situation like this.

In health,

Richard

What was my risk?
HIV risk with Lancet