HIV from a staple?

Hi doctor. I wanted to find out if its possible to contract HIV from getting poked with a staple with infected blood on it? Also is a staple considered to be solid or hollow? At work the other day I was removing a staple from some documents and it was lying on my desk, the client opposite picked it up and was playing with it and got pricked. Half an hour after he left I was clearing up my desk and I got poked with the same staple which bled. Am I at risk? Please respond.

Interesting. I don't think there is a risk. Staples are solid not hollow, for one thing, and solid small sharp objects carry a much lower risk of infection. I think the depth of the wound was also pretty low and that the amount (if any) blood on the staple was minimal. I would not worry. DW

Risky HIV Exposure and ARS Symptoms
How did I get chlamydia??