How can I catch "HPV Human Papiloma virus"?

is HPV only transmittable sexually or can you pick it up by things like saliva,public restrooms, not washing hands after using the bathroom and other public places?Also, when it comes to the cancer causing high risk HPV's, is it even possible to be a carrier of it even if you've never had sex and or any type of sexual contact with another person ? I just worry to much about picking up diseases and stuff so I guess I need a solid answer for some peace of mind.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

HPV is only spread between people when an infected part of one person rubs up against another person's skin. This isn't just a light tap, this is real rubbing. We call this "direct skin-to-skin contact." As you can imagine, this only happens during certain scenarios, such as during sex.

To answer you question more directly: No HPV cannot be picked up by things like saliva, public restrooms, not washing hands after using the bathroom and other public places. Remember, we need skin-to-skin contact.

Also, keep in mind that there are many types of HPV. Different types infect different parts of the body. The types that infect the genitals would need genital skin to genital skin contact.

Hope this helps!

Erik

condom rupture but no ejaculation and PANIC and PEP
Confused by recent answer regarding oral sex and testing