Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv not transmitted everytime you have sex
Feb 29, 2012

Hi there... This is my first time asking a question. I am a female and had unprotected sex with someone who afterwards I learned he had been sexually active with other several woman. He did not use protection with all of them. I recently talked to him and he said he was clean from hiv.. but I don't trust him. Anyways I am 5 months pregnant now from my husband. I know its been more than 6 months or so that I last saw him I had a hiv antiobodie test done in Dec.2012 and was negative and recently 3 days ago and today I got another negative result. I felt relieved but for some time now mayb a month I've been having loose stools which is not normal for me... Is diarrhea a early symptom of hiv infection?? Could i still be infected?? When can I stop testing and move on with my life? Then I read that hiv is not necessarily transmitted everytime you have sex... Can you please clarify this doubts for me?? If its not transmitted everytime you have sex... Does that mean you can still be infected even if you test after the.window period is negative????

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

To start, you are negative from this encounter. Any HIV testing done outside of the three month window is considered conclusive. Your diarrhea has nothing to do with HIV. You can stop testing and move on with your life.

Receiving a negative test result outside of the three month window means that even if you were exposed to the virus, transmission did not occur. You are negative. I hope this makes sense.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Negative HIV test result at 5 months "true negative"
Next
multiple encounters = more risk, right?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.