Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Panic about HIV disclosure
Feb 28, 2012

Dear Mr David Wohl, I have an inquiry regarding the HIV transmission and the use of post-exposure prophylaxis for the case as follows: Yesterday, when I was riding a motorbike on street, there was an impolite guy who suddenly spit on the street. Unfortunately, I rode my motor just right behind that guy's motor bike, and I recognized that my face, typically my lips and cheek were contaminated by his spit. My concern, is, in case of the blood availability mixed with his spit, I may have some risk of infection. I have read numerous documents about HIV/AIDS transmission, and I quite understand it. My case, however, is somehow rare so I am quite uncertain of it, which is also the reason I prepare this inquiry under the hope looking for your advice. I noted that my lips and cheek were intact at the time of the accident, except for some pimples on my face. I don't know whether it is a way for HIV transmission. After the case, I immediately went to a local hospital specialized in tropical diseases in Vietnam. I told the doctor there about the case, and he advised to have a HIV test before using PEP, zidovudine (AZT) and lamivudine in 01 month. He prescribed me the PEP for 05 days without telling me how to use it while I am waiting for the basement test. When I asked him whether my risk is high, he told me not. Another issue is on October 2011, I did use PEP for 28 days which was prescribed by the same hospital, with the same formula of zidovudine (AZT) and lamivudine for a low-risk exposure (I tested my urine at a medical center before studying abroad. During the course preparing to pee in a small plastic container, I dropped its cover in the waste container in the center's toilet, I got scared for contaminated with blood and asked for PEP). Until now, I haven't performed any testing since the completion of PEP in October 2011. My questions are: 1/ Will it be conclusive if I perform a Combo HIV test tomorrow, 27th Feb 2012, approximately 04 months after finishing PEP as aforementioned? The reason I want to do the basement test tomorrow is I do not want to pass the 72 hour regulation for PEP usage for this recent accident. 2/ Is it necessary to use PEP in my first mentioned accident (spitting man)? 3/ Can PEP fail? For what reasons? 4/ If a person uses PEP twice in a period of 01 year, will there be any potential risky effects for him afterwards? I did read some materials prepared by CDC, and I was informed that there are also some people asking for PEP twice in 01 year... I am looking forward to your kind response. I am very nervous now...

Response from Dr. Wohl

There is no way I can imagine that this spit could infect you with HIV. I would not recommend PEP and I would advise an HIV test only to reassure you you are not positive. Feel free to test now and in a month and then forget this incident. Consider a helmet with visor, if possible. DW

Previous
I give up
Next
"What really means direct/ immediate?"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.