Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

possible exposure but viral load came undetectable
Feb 28, 2012

Dear Dr Wohl, I had protected vaginal intercourse, unprotected fellatio (bj) and sharing of food from same plate (exchange of saliva was huge)with a prostitute. 6 days later it all started with left eye lid edema. then i had all flu like symptoms including extreme fatigue and mild fever and a mild rash follwed by use of amoxicillin and azithromycin. 12 weeks (just after 84 days), i did HIV-1 QUANTITATIVE REAL TIME DNA PCR which came back "UNDETECTABLE, <100". My questions: 1.do u think my exposure is potent enough to cause HIV infection? 2. at 12 weeks is it possible for a person infected with HIV to show undetectable viral load who is not on HAART (exception for elite non - progressor if not counted). 3. is it possible that i had mononucleosis because of saliva exchange and the initial eye lid edema ? Regards.

Response from Dr. Wohl

At 12 weeks if viral load is undetectable and HIV antibodies negative, that is the sine qua non of being HIV uninfected. This exposure sound very low risk anyhow. DW

Previous
Effect of PEP
Next
Valtrex's effect on Symptoms of Acute HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.