"how long is the HIV window period"

hi doctor....im sory because my english is not good enoughim test hiv on 12 months 10 days post exposure..and they were all negative ..i have been test for 5 times in many lab with elisa,cmia and vidas ultra duo.im living in indonesiathe doctors in here told me that window period can be more than 12 months,is it true?thx

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Your tests have told us that you're negative. We can believe them very strongly for many reasons.

The window period (the time you need to wait to get an accurate test) is generally 3 months. We sometimes recommend testing again at 6 months if the contact was very risky and it involved a person known to be HIV+.

You waited much longer than either of these recommendations! You've also been tested more than once.

Btw, don't worry about your english. Many of us speak more than one language and can piece together your questions just fine.

Hope this helps!

Erik

HELP ME PLEASE. I CAN`T NO MORE
"just a suggestion" to encourage distressed forum readers to follow up on healthcare (aside from HIV testing)