Worry over testing and supposed HIV "symptoms" "In response to your response... please post"

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q219785.html

If the oraquick advance oral swab is SO accurate outside of the window period, why is every response I get to get RETESTED?

After reading your response today I have had to leave work and cannot stop crying. I'm worse off now than I have been in MONTHS. I'm not blaming you, at all, this isn't your problem, it's MINE.

But why approve a test if it doesn't WORK. I am tired and angry, upset and at my wit's end. I put myself through hell to take that test, and now it's WORTHLESS. I think I have HIV, the test didn't pick it up, and everyone I reach out to for help tells me to retest, obviously so that I can finally get the positive result and start treatment.

If the test is just for people who have imagined risks, then it should be marketed that way. I tested negative, I could have went out and infected others unknowingly, thinking I had done the right thing by getting tested.

I live in a small town and work at the hospital, I will have to take a day off work and drive an hour to get tested, and pay a ton of money because I'm not getting the free oraquick again, what would be the point of that since no doctor agrees that the negative results me and my husband got mean anything.

At this point, I wish I could curl up in a ball and never move again. What a horrible two years this has been.

Thanks for the advice, it was just what I needed to hear... the test is worthless, I wish people would just start saying that instead of beating around the bush.

I have a feeling this won't get posted, but it really needs to be, people deserve to see this, that I got a negative result but the experts think I need to retest... its really mind blowing to me that this test is still on the market.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

I can see how this all might read as confusing to you, but let's try to clear the air on this. It looks like people are recommending for you to be retested just to reinforce, for you emotionally, that additional HIV testing will continue to come up negative (that's where the peace of mind comes into play). It may also be because when we read forum questions, it's hard to know if we're getting all the details of the story we'd get if we were having a face-to-face conversation. "Retesting" is a easy and (usually) harmless recommendation.

The tests are very trustworthy.

That being said, the challenge for you is to track down the real source of the weird things you've been feeling physically. There are many possible explanations. I'll tell you, even after reading your original set of "symptoms," they don't scream out HIV.

Hope this helps! And that you're able to find the relief you've been looking for

Erik

do i need an hiv test?
"are condoms trully safe during anal sex"