"Can blood with disease "jump"/transfer from object to object?"

Hi Erik,

I was checking out at a store and I saw the clerk touch slightly dry blood on the counter and then proceeded to touch all the items that I purchased. (I am certain it was blood.) If the blood had HIV or Hep C, can I get either by touching any of my items later? When I put the things away, can I spread the blood/disease throughout my home? If I touch an item and then go to bed, is the blood/disease in my bed? Basically, can I spread anything even if its visible or not and then contract it later? Also fyi, I work construction and always have a cut on my hands.

Thanks, Concerned

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for the question,

There is no risk from what you're talking about for HIV or Hepatitis C. They would both need a way to get in your body. Also, and more importantly, there would actually have to be something to transmit it to you. In all the hussle and bussle of moving objects around even a lot of blood (dried or otherwise) will wipe/fall away. Dried blood, unlike wet blood, isn't going to wipe up and move from object to object.

We're not talking about the risk of Hepatitis from sharing needles or shaving blades.. In those cases the blood can more easily stay in one place.

Check out our Are You a "Worried Well" Person? article. It sounds like some of these things will be familiar to you.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Multiple negative tests, but difficulty accepting negativity "need your advice"
Multiple negative HIV tests, but partners with symptoms after sex "I need help but dont want to worry the ww's here. Please offer me guidence."