Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Supposed "Symptoms common in HIV/AIDS" caused by worry/anxiety
Feb 24, 2012

Hi. First time on this forum. Have a situation. I was in this shop about a month or two ago, where I accidentally cut myself with the metal part of a scotch tape on the ledge, and a huge scrape resulted and seemed deep. The metal part was on the ledge so people can easily cut themselves. I also got another smaller cut on the wrist and didn't seem deep, superficial.

I recently had problems breathing and docs couldn't identify anything wrong and I'm slightly Better now. Also I have what seems to be thrush, but doctors also dismissed it as normal. I also had dry cough for awhile. The most worrying is since the most recent Sunday, I started feeling sleepy all the time and started having diarrhea. I'm worried that I have been exposed to this virus? I have no other possible exposures. Not here to be assured, but am I too paranoid? Thx for taking time to read this question. Appreciate it

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Sounds like you had no risk for HIV. While you did get cut and there's a chance that others got cut on the same metal part, there's no chance that blood went directly/immediately from one person's body into yours. If you did have any contact with blood is was indirect and greatly spaced out from the last person (i.e. no risk).

I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling unwell though.. I wouldn't be surprised if that was because of the stress you're feeling over this supposed "incident." You yourself mentioned worry and paranoia. The reason you went to doctors is to get answers, but it sounds like you're reluctant to believe them when they say that you don't have thrush. If it's easy to dismiss them because you're already convinced to got HIV, what's to stop you from dismissing our experts here? Something to think about..

Please consider talking to a trusted friend, family member, or counselor to work out why this may have triggered you so strongly.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
Worry over HIV risk from blood on volleyball "**4th time asking** Blood and breastmilk donation** PLEASE, PLEASE ANSWER"
Next
Inability to consider other causes of discomfort after multiple negative test results "Please respond, I need help."

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.