Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Accuracy of HIV RNA test
Feb 21, 2012

Hello Dr, I wanted to know how accurate the HIV RNA test is at 14 days after exposure. I know it's probably hard to give a % because it's something that has not been studied as intensely as antibody test, but as an HIV expert if you had a patient who had a significant exposure(condom break with CSW) and then a negative ultra sensitive RNA test at 14 days, what would you conclude from that? It's ironic that I am going through this now because I'm in the middle of my HIV lecture in class and you were actually quoted in the lecture as saying " it's not very often that we have treatment for a disease, and we tell the patient not to go on meds and once you get sicker and irreversible damage has occurred, then we will put you on meds.". It shows your very well respected in the field to be quotes in these lectures.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Thanks. At 14 days post exposure an undetectable HIV RNA is a very (very) strong sign that you are not infected. I assume you are not on PEP. I would do the recommended testing at 4-6 weeks with an antibody test and if negative, you are home free. DW

Previous
Doctor help me please, the third try!
Next
Strange ways for infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.