The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Neuropathy and false negative?

Feb 20, 2012

Hi Dr. Bob, Please answer, I'm terrified! I had unprotected vaginal intercourse on 29 september 2011 and 5 October, 2011 with csw of unknown status. I got symptom like mild fever, nausea, loss of appetite and weight loss around 1 - 2 weeks after exposure. Around 1 month after exposure I started having tingling and burning pain in my arms, hands, legs, feet, face and trunk and night sweats. The tingling and burning sensation still occue till now of which more than 3 months already. I did run hiv test eia method on 7, 58 and 90 days after last possible exposure and all turn out non-reactive. All other std test also turn out negative. All other symptom has gone away already except the burning sensation which still exist and I still cannot gain weight. My questions are could the neuropathy I have now be seroconversion and my results be false negative (test was at 1, 8 and 13 weeks)? Please help, I have no where else to turn.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

It is usually the HIV medications that causes neuropathy, not the virus. In addition, an HIV test at 90 days is considered conclusive. You are negative. If these symptoms continue, I would suggest a trip to your doctor to rule out other causes.

In health,


HIV risk in porn shop
Please tell me!!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint