Viral Meningitis, HIV, and confusing test results "confused"

My girlfriend was admitted to hospital with viral meningitis , subsequently through blood tests was found to be hiv positive, she was tested again and negative, now we are both awaiting results. Now, because of the menengitis, the doctor says if we are positive, I gave it to her????? really? I was tested 3 mos before i started dating her and was negative. see my confusion?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Sounds like you're in the middle of the (retesting) period.. This can be a somewhat stressful time, but you both are doing what you need to in order to find your answers. A full risk assessment and finishing testing should hopefully clear this all up.

I'm not sure why your doctor would accuse you of infecting your girlfriend though.

Getting tested 3 months before dating your girlfriend was a great move. The only thing to make sure of is that you were tested 3 months after the last (unprotected) sex partner you had before your girlfriend.

Hope this helps!

Erik

HIV risk for blood "possible exposure in public restroom?"
I am scared to death