Oral sex

Hi doctor! Let me start off by saying that you at awesome! You do a great service on this website! My question is about oral sex. I received oral sex back in mid December. Ever since then I have been so worried about HIV transmission. I did not perform oral sex on the person. I just want to know if I put myself at risk? Was it a risk? I'm worried because my tongue has been white. Is white tongue an HIV symptom? I got an HIV test about 5 weeks post exposure. Should I get tested again? I am so worried!!! Please help.

Thanks. See below. DW

You have asked a question that many writing to this site have asked. Therefore, this is a standard reply I have prepared.

Oral sex is a very inefficient way to acquire HIV. The mouth does not contain the type of cells that HIV likes to infect. One study from Europe that followed couples where one person was HIV+ and the other HIV- failed to find a case of HIV transmission despite unprotected oral sex.

If you remain worried, due to some circumstance, you can certainly get tested for HIV. By 4 weeks after the encounter, antibodies to HIV are almost always detected by standard HIV tests.

Please be aware that syphilis, herpes simplex virus, and gonorrhea can certainly be transmitted by oral sex.

plz dr help me
please please