Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

desperate for an answer, anixty is all over me n it is killing me
Feb 10, 2012

this may sound stupid, but i have been so paranoid about hiv. I recently took a hiv rapid test, it was a finger ***** blood rapid test. I dont know what kind of needles are used in ontario. Can those automatic i guess single used be accidentally used again? Can I get infected this way? . Please help me I went there to get peace of mind now i am even more worried are there any risks? can the applicator be infected?what kind of needles that are used??is there a possible by mistake a nurse used an old needle (it was in blue or green color). if an old one was used what are the chances of getting hiv??Everything was prepared when i got there i cant go again sleeples nights for another 3 months i cant take this fear ..also my test was negative and i was told i had a v v v low risk, it was un protected oral... then again went for another rapid hiv test after 8 weeks of my exposure low risk ( oral receiving sex). it cam back non reactive..this time i went to a different clinic, the nurse opened the testing kit in front of me. my question is the needle that came out of the kit, which was used on me was a different kind of needle that was used on my 2 weeks agothis time the needle was thin and in green colour, and the last time that was used it was in blue colour and bigger. also as i remember in last test the needle was not in the box the nurse had it separate. i asked my nurse yesterday, she said she don't know what kind of needles the other clinic uses..don't wana go back there and ask them, i m afraid they might freak out on me.. i m so worried, its just that after 2 week of the test i m starting to develop symptoms, now i m also developing a rash on my leg.

now i know i didnt catch hiv from the exposure but i m started to think i migh hav gotten it while doing a test....i m so reuined. i cant sleep, cant eat, cant do anything.... i m desperate for some help plzz

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Your risk was low. Oral sex has been and remains a low-risk activity. I would not even suggest testing for incidences of oral sex.

In regards to the needle used during your test. This was a one-time use lancet. These are spring loaded and are meant to be used one time only. When pressed against the skin, the needle shoots out, pierces the skin, and retracts into the device. Never to be used again. Some HIV test kits include the needle, others do not. This is why in one test, the needle was included and why during the other it was not. They also look different because different manufacturers make them in different shapes and sizes. Different colors denote different needle lengths and gauges.

My concern for you is that this anxiety has nothing to do with your actual risk. If you are unable to move past this situation then I would suggest finding a qualified therapist, counselor, or at the very least, a trusted friend whom you can talk to.

Anxiety like this can be crippling. Please consider getting help.

In health,

Richard

Previous
CONVINCED i have HIV, please help!
Next
Infection or hypochondria?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.