Please Read Extreme Anxiety...

Hi

I am sure you receive many emails concerning ridiculous fears about ways to contract HIV. I am a person that is recovering from or attempting to recover from severe OCD. I am on medication for the OCD. I have problems evaluating the level of severity in certain risks (hope that makes sense).

Well today the day after Christmas I went to the nail salon for the first time ever. I have always avoid them because of my OCD. So today I thought I would try to overcome that particular fear. It was a special day for me. all was going well until. I noticed the technician nicked me with that metal buffer thing ( I don't remember the name of it) it nicked me in the cuticle area. It didn't bled out but I could see some blood (maybe it just took a layer of skin off and made it raw, not sure). After that I put a band aid on. I was wondering if you thought that this is a risk for HIV or Hepatitis B/C. I am not sure if that was a single use device or reusable device. Should I go get tested for this situation? Also back in September I was dating a guy (of unknown status) that bled while picking food from this teeth and also when we has removing an ingrown hair. He had cleaned it from where he had the ingrown hair. Well in the morning when we woke up. I noticed there was some blood on his pillow from the place where he pulled out the ingrown hair. And several weeks before that he accidentally scratched me on my hand and once on my foot and it drew blood. I cleaned and bandaged them. Could I have gotten HIV from being around his blood? We never had full intercourse. However he did touch me downstairs one time. Or could I have gotten it from scratching me those few times or from him touching me downstairs?

I am really worried about having HIV now are the situations above suggestive of someone who REALLY needs to get tested from legitimate risky situations? I am thinking about getting tested next week as it will have been three months I hung out with that guy I dated. But I don't want to if nothing I have described truly warrants HIV testing, because it will start my testing obsession ( which can be very expensive) I used to go get tested every three months for years (while I wasnt dating or intimate with anyone). I am having a panic attack while writing this.

( This happened some weeks ago I am to go get my nails done again with my mom tomorrow) I'm worried.

I know I need therapy and perhaps some CBT but I cannot afford it in this economy unfortunately :(

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my lengthy message,

OCDgirl

Hello OCD Girl From all that you have described I don't feel you have put yourself at risk. Nail salons clean their instruments and even if they hadn't and the person before you had HIV, once HIV is outside the body it dies within minutes. Hepatitis C does live longer but there has to be a direct exchange of body fluid. As for the interaction with the fella, none of what you have described shows a direct exchange of body fluid. I would continue on your testing course to give you peace of mind. Is HIV transmission possible yes, probable no. The standards for testing for rapid HIV, whether oral swab or blood are very accurate at 28 days, and conclusive at 90 days. However, when someone has had a known exposure to someone with HIV, you could perform a six month test, just to be extra cautious.

Hope this helps, be well and stay safe, Shannon

chafed skin on inner thigh
Oral with ejaculation