oral swab test- done wrong?

i had an oral swab test done at 9 months post incident.. when i went to the testing site the lady had me swab my own gum line. I accidentally swiped my cheek before she saw and had me change technique. I then die my gum. She came back in the 20-40 minutes and told me it was negative. I am concnered this this test was done wrong and that my results aren't right. Would the test indicate if it was done wrong or if there weren't enough cells? CAN I BELIEVE THIS TEST? Shouldn't the testing site do this for you? Could this be a false negative and the test was done wrong? I am not sure what the lines looked like because she didn't' show me. Do the usually show you the test stick or no? THANK YOU!!!

Hi Thanks for the question. There are two lines on the test a "c" and a "t". If there is a line in the "c" this means the test was done correctly.

The test is picking up antibodies that your body makes against HIV. It's not testing saliva, it's picking up the antibodies from the mucous membranes.

I always show the test stick and explain the results. If you want to be sure, you can have another test run and ask to see the testing stick at the conclusion of the test.

I would trust your test results, but again if you are concerned I would have another test run to give you peace of mind.

re: i agree with dr weidman about hootone
false negative