Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blood in eye occupational exposure
Feb 9, 2012

If you dont mind I wanted to ask you that I took an HIV blood test at 3 months since the date of an incident that happened to me. I had an occupational exposure when I was standing about an inch from a man who cut his finger at work and the second he cut his finger he flung his finger up to my face and blood from his finger that he just cut went into my eyes which I know for a fact it went into my eyes. His blood also went all over my face. I didnt know the HIV status of the man but know he was a Black man from Gambia in Africa. I did not take any medication for this.

My questions are,

1) I took an HIV blood test 3 months since his blood went into my eyes and it was negative, is that test conclusive and proof I did not catch HIV from his blood going into my eyes? and I dont need to be tested again?

2) I was looking at the CDCs website and it says

"HCP with occupational exposure to HIV should receive follow-up counseling, postexposure testing, and medical evaluation regardless of whether they receive PEP. HIV-antibody testing by enzyme immunoassay should be used to monitor HCP for seroconversion for >6 months after occupational HIV exposure. After baseline testing at the time of exposure, follow-up testing could be performed at 6 weeks, 12 weeks, and 6 months after exposure. Extended HIV follow-up (e.g., for 12 months) is recommended for HCP who become infected with HCV after exposure to a source coinfected with HIV and HCV"

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5409a1.htm

It says testing should be done up to 6 months??? Also it says up to one year for HCP who become infected with HCV? Well I have never been tested for HCV? SO have no idea if I got infected with that?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi, The standards for HIV testing, whether oral swab or blood are very accurate at 28 days, and conclusive at 90 days. However, when someone has had a known exposure to someone with HIV, you could perform a six month test, just to be extra cautious.

As a health care worker I would recommend being tested for all the Hepatitis, A, B and C. You should be offered A and B immunization series as well.

Hope this helps, Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
i am on risk of hiv? confused and worried
Next
Oral Sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.