Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dry , crusty runny nose for a month and dry mouth problem, is it a early hiv symptom
Feb 8, 2012

Hi,

Last winter i was not able to breathe and had my throat was swollen showed the ent doctor who found out a nodule on my thyroid which was malignant. He prescribed me a acyclovir and prednisone for my dry mouth problem. I took it for 5 days and had terrible time. My physician told me to stop the medication as it did not suit me. She took my blood work(cbc) , everything was OK except for the wbc which were high. However i wanted to be sure that i was ok so i did hiv test from rapid testing clinic- did elisa test which was non reactive 3 days post medication. My possible exposure was 2 years back. Recently had miscarraige in 4 and half mths, due to infection. Doctor had no answer why? Again this winter i had dry skin, dry lips, and dry , runny nose which lasted for 1 and half month and it also smells. Now my mouth is dry and shows little white colour and I have abscess on my gum. I dont have fever or diarrohea . Is this hiv infection. My prenatal std test was normal however hiv test was not taken. My chest x ray is normal and recent blood work(cbc) was normal. Please help.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- I cannot truly provide you with an answer to your question as you clearly had at least one episode of unprotected sex 4 and 1/2 months ago (when you got pregnant) and it doesn't seem as if you have been tested since then. While these symptoms are likely to be HIV, I would suggest you get tested now and if negative be assured that this is not HIV but have your provider look to explain another cause. Take care,

LHW

Previous
is duo test conclusive after 13 months?
Next
Re-sending Question on Mixed Couples

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.