Newly diagnosed with HIV "can i live?"

dear expert, i am recently diagnosed pos for HIV. i am getting mad and kept myself in my room isolated. how can i live now? is it going to kill me soon? can i live long life? my dream to be a singer is ruined forever. what a fate...

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your questions,

Yes you can live. And yes you can realize your dream of being a singer! Many of the things that you've feeling are absolutely normal. Lots of people are living long and healthy lives with HIV. However, this means an extra layer of attention to your overall wellness. This is something that a local HIV service organization can help you figure out.

HIV doesn't hit the body overnight, it takes many many years. Being in the care of a knowledgeable doctor is essential is making sure you get the attention you need to keep you healthy for the longest amount of time possible.

If you haven't already, check out our HIV/AIDS Resource Center for the Newly Diagnosed. There's tons of information in there. You can read advice and stories from others who have been in your same situation.

When you're ready, it can help to talk with others face-to-face that are HIV positive. Many areas even have HIV social events!

Hope this helps,

Erik

Please Shannon answer my question re: Mixed Couples...Please
Possibility of HIV risk from non-penetration? "Transmission risk from brief exposure"