Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worry over possibility of HIV infection at work "in dire need"
Feb 4, 2012

hello Erik, i have gone thru and thru this site reading many posts which i came upon yours and many other talented answers that other doctors have posted due to my high anxiety upon the subject matter at hand...why i am worried today is for a real reason but poses some threat upon my life...i am not nor have been sexually active for the past three months but i have a question relating to a non sexually active nor drug related question at hand...i work at a limo company within the shops confines and i work as a porter...as some may kno wut goes on in limos and buses stays within them until they get bak to us nd then to me nd my crew until we have to clean them...many biological functions go on in there such as vomit urine and feces(mainly the last two within the bus bathrooms) however my question goes as follows with the situation...i finished my shift talking to the crew before we leave, i go to wash my hands in the bathroom (we do wear gloves but i tend to b a bit more sanitary) and come bak out to chat for a bit longer...i notice a zit on my bak nd decide to pop it then nd there when suddenly, i remember i scratched my head with the gloves i had on earlier and touched my hat again with bare hands before popping the zit...the reason why i am worried is because the hoses that we use run along the ways we dump toilets along and many people go into those buses and me obviously not knowing a certain status of being positive for HIV...my question tho, is can one contract the virus from popping a pimple with hands that touched the surface of a possibly infected area? i kno this question sounds ridiculous but ever since it has been on my mind and i recently have gotten out of a huge traumatic scare that has left me open wounded nd rendered for more torture...metaphorically speaking however a response would be deeply appreciated and im afraid to go bak to my doctor to ask these questions because i hav gone there so many times to consult these odd ball questions with her but i am afraid of annoying her...please answer me bak i am afraid of my work environment being covered in germs let alone this horrible virus please help me out in regards to my question...also from wut i hav seen there was no blood so it appears just a popped zit

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

You have no risk for HIV. The reasons are the same as I've described in an answer to a recent post.

However, I'm concerned by your last statement. You mentioned that you talk with your doctor about "odd ball questions" often. Check out our article about the "Worried Well". If some of these starts to sounds familiar, consider taking the suggestion seriously: talk to someone about your regular (and irrational) fear of infection.

Hope this helps and that you find relief from your anxiety soon!

Erik

Previous
Husband's HIV/STD status after unprotected sex and testing "Please help"
Next
Can explain some statistical points?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.