Husband's HIV/STD status after unprotected sex and testing "Please help"

My husband had unprotected sex with a woman he did not know at all. He tested for HIV at 3 months then again at 5 months using the OraSure mouth swab test. Both came back negative. I read the responses to other questions and learned if he contracted Acute Hepatitis C then the HIV tests may not be accurate. What are the symptoms for Acute Hepatitis C and does it work the same way for Hep B or Syphilis?

Im sorry for all the questions Im just very worried. I has been 7 months since his encounter and Im getting tested for everything next week but my mind is just racing with these questions.

I appreciate your help. Thank you

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Your husband's three month test (and then a five month test) tells us that he is negative. Trust it! Tests are very good at what they do.

It sounds like you've read about some things that can affect test results. While this can be true in some cases, it's not common and we're moreso talking about indeterminate test results. Your husband got TWO HIV tests and waited the proper amount of time, trust the results.

As a side note, your husband should have a full panel of STD testing (if he hasn't already) so that you both are clear on his complete status. Another side note to keep in mind, Hepatitis C is not really transmitted through sex (only through blood-to-blood contact).

I'm sorry to hear about this incident and how much it's been weighing on your mind. In terms of your husband's status, testing is the answering. And with testing, as long as someone waits long enough, they can trust the results.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Please guide me, I'm Terribly scared!!
Worry over possibility of HIV infection at work "in dire need"