Safer Sex and anal/oral sex "Question about high risk and low risk"

I have been reading your Q&A for quite a while, and I found it's informative. But recently I'm a little unsure about the HIV transmission risk.

Basically, to have single partner who you know his status should be safer, compared to having sex with people whose status unknown or 'high risk' person such as sex worker. On the other hand, protected sex is low risk, while unprotected one is regarded to be high risk.

My question is, how if these two factors are mixed? Logically, to have high risk sex action with a single partner (low risk) doesn't neccessarily being safe as the partner might be 'unsafe'. And, if to have ' low risk' sex contact with ' high risk' person, is it still low risk overall? In other words, can I say, it is still low risk if I have protected anal sex and unprotected receiving oral sex with 'high risk' person?

Finally, honestly, yeah..., I had protected anal sex and receiving oral sex several times with gay escort, and I'm now quite concern whether it's fine......

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for the questions,

I can understand how some of this might be confusing, let's tease the pieces of your question apart.

Firstly, your risk was very low.

It's important to note that protected sex poses no risk as long as the condom stays intact. You had mentioned it being "low risk," that's just not true. However, even though unprotected sex is risky, oral sex is very low risk. Another way of saying this is that we don't really see infection happening this way.

I wouldn't consider people to be "high risk" or "unsafe," you might be mixing that up with overall trends of populations that are hit by HIV the most (that's different). It's the activity that's high risk or not.

Since it's the activity that we're concerned about, focusing on safer sex techniques is the best move to keep you and your partner healthy! That includes: - Getting tested regularly - Talking with your partners BEFORE sex on their status and yours - Using condoms for all penetration (getting the right size/fit can help with comfort) - Exploring fun non-penetration sex acts..

More tips can be found in our Safer Sex Guides & Information. Check out other recent questions on Safer Sex Techniques in the forum

Hope this helps!

Erik

re: very worried
Stripper fingered herself and touched my lips with those fingers