Rumors

I have heard that hiv possitive people die due to side effects of medication. Also it is a rumor that aids has not been assured that is from hiv. Is it true? Please answer me with sincerity.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- What I can tell you is that HIV medications save lives. Are they perfect and without any side effects- no, but no medicine is. But let me say it again, THEY SAVE LIVES. I take care of patients everyday who lead normal, healthy lives because they are on these medications. AIDS stands for the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. You can only get AIDS if you have been infected with the HIV virus. BUT all people with HIV DO NOT have AIDS. AIDS is what happens when someones immune system is weak, but the medications we have make this not an inevitable consequence of having HIV. Get out and dispel these rumors!!! Take care,

LHW

after pep
re: very worried