Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Teen with Symptoms without being Sexually Active?
Feb 2, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to help us. You all really change lives. So I'm a sixteen year old male and have not been sexually exposed/active what-so-ever, but lately I've been experiencing many HIV-related symptoms. And I started to notice/worry about all of these symptoms since the day I learned more about HIV. (3 weeks ago). Yes, I would say I am a hypochodriac. I've been extremely anxious about my health before, so this is not a new experience. However, this one is more scarier than the previous ones. My symptoms include:

-Swollen Tonsils (my parents said since I was born they were naturally inflamed, but you never know) -White Spot on my Tonsils (maybe related to my tonsil problem since birth?) -Canker Sores (I always seemed to have these here and there, but bearly started worrying. They seem to appear when I walk barefoot on the cold floor) -Jock's Itch for 5 months (it came out when I joined my cross country team; I would sweat and not shower right away. But the fungus is bearly dying 5 months after) -A "Touchable" Lymph Node on my Neck (It isnt visible, I have to "look" and "feel around" to find it. But it does feel about 2mm big. My doctor apperantly said it was normal)

- I do not experience weight loss, fatigue, loss of appetite, night sweats, fevers, or thresh.

I've heard that HIV can be passed through: -sharing toothbrushes (which I don't think I've done, but I cant remember every day of my life) -open cuts (Everyone has atleast one recent cut from an incident) -french kissing (which I have done with one girl when I was 13 and nothing else since then) -toilets? (since I had jock's itch)

& since I suffer with recurring canker sores my chances could be greater. I havent interacted with somebody who would possibly be at risk of having HIV, but you never know.

Please help me with some advice. I'm desperate. Thank You So Much, and God BLESS.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Correction: HIV CAN NOT be transmitted sharing tooth brushes, french kissing (unless we are talking major rotting periodontal disease among both parties) or toilets. Open cuts also are not going to do it unless lots of blood shared in some sort of satanic cult like ritual.

You have no risks so you have no HIV. Your symptoms developed after you read about HIV. So, my advice is to stop reading about HIV and definitely do not under any circumstances pursue a career in medicine. DW

Previous
Testosterone levels low...scared again.
Next
after pep

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.