Accuracy of 4th Generation test after 4 weeks post-PEP

Hi Dr. Weidman,

I wonder what is the accuracy of a negative result from a 4th Generation EIA 33 days after completing PEP ( 63 days post-exposure). The risk was: Protected receptive anal sex, performing fellatio without condom without ejaculation, contact of infected blood in oral mucosa for an accidentaly bit while kissing. Viral load of partner at the moment of the intercourse was 39,000 copies/ml.

Thank you very much in advance.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- Typically 4th generation tests can be presumed to be accurate by 2-3 weeks post exposure. Certainly I would expect it to be accurate at 2 months. To be sure, you could get an HIV viral load test now or repeat the 4th gen at 90 days. My guess is you are not infected and can breathe easier, your risk was not extremely high and you completed PEP.

Take care,

LHW

Rimming?
hi, dr weidman