Rimming?

Thanks for your time. What is the risk of performing rimming in terms of HIV? I have heard low risk to no risk if there is no blood. Should one be concerned about microscopic blood from deep rimming? Dr. Bob said on the forum that the risk HIV from performing rimming was essentially non existent...do you agree?

Thanks for your valuable time.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- I do agree with Dr. Bob. In my opinion, rimming is not near the top of the list of actions that can transmit HIV. Saliva just does not transmit the virus and the mouth is not a hospitable place for HIV. Even a small amount of blood doesn't increase the risk significantly.

Hepatitis A or B, gonorrhea, syphilis, and herpes/genital warts are all STIs potentially contracted through rimming. In addition, because the interior of the anus hosts intestinal bacteria, rimming carries risk for giardia and other intestinal "bugs". Using dental dams, cut condoms, and lube will greatly reduce the likelihood of transmission of STIs and other infections. No documented cases of HIV transmission have ever been connected to rimming.

Hope that helps. Take care,

LHW

So worried
Accuracy of 4th Generation test after 4 weeks post-PEP