Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unprotected anal
Jan 31, 2012

Hello, my questions is in regard to my high risk unprotected anal exposure where I was the bottom. The person (age 32, white male)did not ejaculate inside me and the anal part only lasted for 5-6mins, this was my first time having sex, I'm a male age 21, filipino, he informed me he was clean and neg, when I tested for STDs at 2 week mark, I was neg for all and when I tested for HIV through an Oraquick Advance rapid blood test today the 4 week and 2 day mark, I tested negative as well, so far I haven't experienced an serious symptoms and my 4 week negative indicates to me that everything I felt for the past month could have been anxiety, stress or other infection. I know the window period is 3 months with a 6 week being reassuring, I'm just wondering how reliable is my 4 week rapid negative??? Thank you!

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi As you are aware I'm sure that receptive anal sex is the highest risk and so the course of testing you are on is correct. The 3 month period is your most reliable and 6 months conclusive. At 4 weeks being negative can be a good sign, but the reason for the 3 month is because everyone's bodies develop HIV antibodies on different time frames, you can be positive but the test is showing negative because of this delay in developing the antibodies. I recommend that you continue on your testing course and get the 6 month test to be sure. In the meantime either reframe from any type of risk or ensure that you are using protection.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
im a wreck all the time
Next
HIV test results affected by Hep vaccination? "I don't know"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.