Chronic vs. "Acute Hepatitis B"

Hi! I'm a 17 year old male, I was infected with Hepatitis B through a needle at the doctors office at about the age of about 6. Since I was little I tough it was like a regular flu( or something similar ). My mom told me that i got rid of Hepatitis B in a week or so, therefore it was acute hepatitis B. In middle school and High school I realized that Hepatitis is an STD( which I'm embarrassed about)and I know the basic's of hepatitis B, it can be spread through having contact with the blood, semen, vaginal fluids, ect. I'm NOT sexually active but i just want to informed my self . Can Hepatitis B be transmitted through kissing( there's to many different opinions online ) ? Through oral sex? Do i still carry Hepatitis B ? Thanks

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

It sounds like you no longer have Hepatitis B. I would check with your mom just to make sure though that she meant you got rid of the hepatitis as in "cleared your system" as opposed to "the symptoms went away." If this question is confusing, taking a trip to the doctor should clear things up.

Acute Hepatitis B is what we call it when someone first catches it. Most of the time it clears itself up by itself (i.e. you no longer have it) but sometimes it doesn't, we call that chronic Hepatitis B.. that's long-term illness.

The majority of people who catch Hepatitis B after 5yrs old will clear the virus, that's 90-94% of people! And once you've had it and it clears, you can never get it again.

Check out our fact sheet on Hep B for more information.

Also, even though Hepatitis B is considered a STD, it's not always sexually transmitted. It is NOT spread through kissing. Oral sex is a possibility, but remember it sounds like you're not able to catch AND you don't have it to pass on to someone else.

Hope this helps!

Erik

HIV risk from sexual contact with escort "Deeply depressed and paranoid, please help me out!!"
Risk from sexual contact with woman at strip club "Showing symptoms HIV having horrible anxiety please help"