Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help! I want to get pregnant! Please answer me. I'm still stressed.
Jan 27, 2012

Hi there. I gave oral sex to a man who ejaculated in my mouth a bit of HIV status that is unknown. I had all kinds of symptoms following this episode from sore throat, muscle pain, 2 bumps on my vagina and a swollen lymph node that is still on my neck 6 months later. I have had multiple cbc's, wbc's and HIV tests. Negative HIV tests @ 1 month, 4 months, 4.5 months and 6 months (24 weeks) and all are negative. I have been under tremendous stress over this encounter. I can't seem to accept it because the lymph node is still there, I am bruising really easily, I had a wierd rash on upper arms at 5 months (still there) one Dermatoligist said it is kp & another said a rash (she could not tell me what from) I have had 2 wbc's and my concern is the monocyte count keeps increasing. It was at 6.5 (4 months after) 8.3 (4.5 months after) & 10.9 (24 weeks after) I read on aidsmap that a standard 3rd generation antibody test is conclusive at 3 months but I also found an article that said it could take 1 year. I am spiraling out of control. I see raised lumps in my arms (like lymph nodes-very small but I don't think they were there before and everytime I look at my arms I panic. Please help me. I want to have a baby soon and need some reassurance or do you think the monocyte thing is abnormal. I a stress case, I haven't had a full nights rest in almost 7 months. Please help! Can I be rest assured I'm HIV negative? I have read the archives 1,000 times but I would GREATLY appreciate a direct answer due to the fact I can't find anything on monocytes or rash 5 months post exposure. One more thing, 24 weeks is 6 months? Why do some people take a year? I'm generally really healthy aside from all this stress and anxiety. Thanks.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

You are negative from this incident. Oral sex has been and remains a low-risk activity. An HIV test at three months or later is considered conclusive. The article you were reading was either outdated or simply incorrect. If the other symptoms you described continue, I would suggest working with your doctor to rule out other possible causes.

Bottom line: You're negative

In health,

Richard

Previous
From the perspective of a HIV- partner "re: disclosure"
Next
Dried Blood on my Cup

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.