HIV risk from small cut at base of penis "Extremely Worried - Please Help!"

I had vaginal intercourse (no oral or anal) with a girl 7 weeks ago who I met through a friend. We used a condom for the entire time, but I had a small open cut at the base of the penis that may or may not have been fully covered by the condom. Two weeks later, I woke up feeling really bad: body aches, swollen lymph nodes throughout body, lack of appetite. Though the awful feeling went away after a couple days, the lymph nodes throughout my body are still swollen (not visibly, but definitely to the touch) five weeks later albeit painlessly; groin, armpits, neck, and I still have a general feeling of not being 100%. I never had any rash, fever, diarrhea or sore throat. I'm pretty worried and wanted to know if these symptoms could be indicative of HIV infection. Thank you very much for your help!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for the question,

Doesn't sound like you had any risk from the sex you had. You used a condom during the entire time which prevents any vaginal fluids from getting into your body through your penis. As for the "small open cut" you mentioned.. This would have a be a large open fresh cut for it to matter. Doesn't sounds like that was the case. It'd stand to reason that if this would have been the case, having sex would pull and stretch it causing you pain. In the future, it can be helpful to talk with your sex partners (even briefly) about their HIV/STD status - asking about theirs and sharing yours.

Symptoms never can tell us if someone has been infected. This is because the symptoms of early HIV infection are so general they could be explained by dozens of things, some as simple as stress.

I can guarantee you that your lymph nodes have swollen countless times in your life. That's their job when you're sick.

Remember, there's nothing wrong with visiting a doctor if you're feeling unwell. Please do! That's what they're there for. But if you go in for a situation like this, rest assured that HIV won't be the reason you're feeling weird.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Conflicting opinions?
HIV in dryer