"HIV risk for my two years old son due to bleeding gums"

Dear Mr. or Mrs., my two years old son was at sleepover at his friends house, and he had his own toothbrush and toothpaste with him. What is worrying me is, that, today i noticed that his molar is coming out, and the gum above the molar is broken and bleeding. His friends father was taking care of them, and helping them brush their teeth, because the friends mother unexpectedly had to go to work. I dont know the HIV status of that man, but he is a sailor, and he is not much a home, and I dont know him very well. I know, he has cracked hands due to his job, and that is what is worrying me. If he is HIV positive,and had little bleeding cracks on his hands, what is the possibility of HIV transmission via blood from his hands to my sons toothbrush or toothpaste, and then rubbed into his bleeding gum? I am really worried, please answer. Thank you! Worried mum

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for the question,

First off, let me tell you there's no chance of your son getting HIV from the situation you describe.

Even if his friend's father was HIV positive, there would be no chance for it to pass to your son. There would have to be HIV positive body fluid (blood, semen, pre-cum, vaginal fluid, or breast milk) and it would have to get into your son's body directly/immediately after leaving the other person's body. So we have to ask: when would this even come close to happening in the situation you described? It wouldn't.

HIV, relatively, is not an easy virus to get. It only really happens during things like unprotected sex, sharing needles, occupational hazards, or breast feeding. Again, nothing like these things sound like they happened at all.

Hope this helps!

Erik

HIV risk from dry blood "Intravenous cannula dressing"
Pep warranted/Great risk after brused Condom?