Semen in mouth (not really oral sex)

I'm in a bit of a panic and I hope this isn't too graphic.

Shortly after Thanksgiving, I had sex with this guy. He says he is negative but hasn't tested in almost a year; he also states that he always wears a condom when penetrating another male (which he has always done with me). He never gets penetrated (which I believe).

So, when I was with him I performed oral sex on him without a condom. He then penetrated me with a condom on. The condom did not brake. Amazingly, after he pulled out, his semen shot (from two feet away!) directly into my mouth and I immediately spit it out. I then went to the restroom and spit over and over again. Days later I developed a cold which I have had for several weeks now.

My question is this: without any cuts in my mouth, did I put myself at risk by (albeit unintentionally) taking his semen in my mouth? Second, if this ever happens again, is it wise to continuously spit like that? Third, it's only been about 7 weeks since this incident; I know that HIV tests aren't conclusive until the 3-month mark, so would it be worthwhile getting one now to calm my fears just a little (even if they're 50% accurate at 7 weeks, for example, I think it would calm me down a lot if the result were negative at this stage)?

Thanks!!!!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Your risk was low. Yes, having his semen in your mouth made the risk higher, but still low overall. When it comes to fluids in the mouth, I like to say - "Swallow or spit, don't let it sit". Basically that if you get semen or vaginal secretions in your mouth, the best thing to do is get them out of your mouth. Either way, the virus starts to die as soon as it leaves the body, leaving it unable to infect another human being.

You could certainly go in for a test now, to calm your fears. I am sure you are negative from this incident and I would not recommend testing for this incident because the risk was so low that it is not warranted.

Any testing you do would purely be for your own piece of mind.

In health,

Richard

hello richard cordoba Risk evaluation
Risk of HIV and Hep B "Protected sex but bloody condom"