blood exposure

Hi! I was giving compressions as a first responder and after, I noticed blood on my right hand. There wasn't much, but I had some on two of my fingers and under one of my fingernails. I called the coroners office, but they didn't know of the person's status. Do you think I should get started on PEP?

Hi, Sorry for the late response to your question as we are rebuilding the forum with the loss of Dr Bob. PEP has to be started within 72 hours of exposure. The likelihood of transmission is it possible, yes, probable no. Your best bet for peace of mind is to be tested. The standard for rapid HIV tests, whether oral swab or blood are very accurate at 28 days, and conclusive at 90 days. However, when someone has had a known exposure to someone with HIV, you could perform a six month test, just to be extra cautious.

HAVING SEX WITH AN HIV NEGATIVE PARTNER
can i get hiv