The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Jan 22, 2012

I m hiv positive on treatment for one and half years and recently married to a HIV negative partner, now we want a child how can we go about it?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi, Thanks for the questions and I'm happy you found someone who wants to be with you and continue the relationship. The answer to your question depends the type of relationship you are in. If you are the male partner that is positive, in care and treatment and your viral load is undetectable there is are a couple of different options, you can have your sperm washed which is a medical treatment that clears HIV from your sperm and then she can be inseminated with the sperm. Being undetectable also decreases the chances of transmission and you can do it the old fashion way and then she just needs to be tested and treated if needed. Now if you are the woman and HIV+, undetectable and on the correct treatment to use during pregnancy, you can either have old fashion sex or be inseminated with his sperm. Stay on treatment throughout your pregnancy and the chances of your child being born with HIV are less than 1%.

Having an open discussion with your Health Care Provider and your partner are crucial in your making the decisions. There is life after diagnosis and deciding how to move forward is up to you.

Hope this helps, be well and safe, Shannon

blood exposure

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint