Clarification

Hello Shannon. I've recently asked a question and received an answer that my 15 week test was conclusive. However I then read a post where I believe you said the window is 6 months. I tested with Oraquick and Unigold w/ blood. I had unprotected sex and contracted an std. I also had symptoms of hiv and I still have since week 3, aching and pains in the lymph gland areas all over.(4 mnths now). I'm ready to receive a pos diagnosis. However I want anonymous testing and RTs is what is offered. Were the test really conclusive or should I test to 6 months. I have kids and need to start planning.

Hi, The standards for testing for rapid HIV tests, whether oral swab or blood are very accurate at 28 days, and conclusive at 90 days. However, when someone has had a known exposure to someone with HIV, you could perform a six month test, just to be extra cautious.

It is 3 months from the time of exposure. If there is another exposure during that time then the counting starts at 1 again. Just also know that if you are positive, there is life after diagnosis and you can move forward.

Hope this helps, Be well and stay safe, Shannon

unprotected sex
HAVING SEX WITH AN HIV NEGATIVE PARTNER