Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dental and sauna risk of STD / HIV
Jan 19, 2012

Hello

I went to a dentist recently . I was having mouth ulcer when I went there, I am not sure whether the dentist use clean equipment and tools because he did not open any new pack of tool in front of me, but i canot see any blood on the tool he used , is there any risk of HIV or std in this case? Another time was I went to a beauty saloon I did a sauna and I sit nakedly on the sauna bench , does this post a risk too ?

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello-

First, often dentists and other surgeons do not open new tools but are trained to sterilize all their equipment in between patients and I am guessing this is the case here. Thus it would be extremely unlikely to get HIV from "dirty dentist tools". Also, dentists are trained in "universal precautions" to protect themselves and patients from bloodborne diseases, like HIV and Hepatitis. In my experience main wound inflicted by dentists is on your wallet!

For your second question, it is also highly unlikely that you would get infected with HIV by contact with anything in a public environment; this includes hot tubs, public pools, showers, towels, saunas, steamrooms, etc. There is no evidence that HIV has been transmitted through casual contact like this. HIV does not survive in the environment for very long and you would need to have mucous membrane/bloodstream contact for transmission to be possible.

Take care,

LHW

Previous
vih negative for elisa but more symptoms
Next
Adult video Booth

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.