The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

alcohol and smoking

Jan 18, 2012

Hi Richard,

Is it possible to have hiv and it not show up on tests because of excess drinking and smoking? I drink 12 beers a night and smoke two packs a day. I made a despicable mistake four and half years ago. I have had twenty antibody tests and two pcrs for subtype B. I am concerned that I have passed it on to my wife and child. Everyone including doctors say to get over it move on, but I can't everyday is a horrific nightmare. I go to the psychiatrist every two weeks with my wife but is is no help. I feel like the devil is coming to get me. I really don't want to be institutionalized. Is there any test that can rule it out for sure? I really appreciate your time.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Your smoking and drinking are not affecting the results of your test. Any test taken after 90 days is conclusive.

Is it possible that you are still mentally beating yourself up for that "despicable mistake"? Does your wife know? If not, and you're still beating yourself up about something that happened almost five years ago, perhaps a session with the psychiatrist by yourself would be helpful. Infidelity can cause a lot of stress and anxiety. Either way, you are negative from the incident. I hope this helps.

In health,


Frottage With Ejaculation

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint