Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

symptoms=hiv-=diseases=die early...
Jan 18, 2012

I believe once you have symptoms of hiv you are doomed even with negative results. Just remember the hiv tests are not 100% accurate so symptoms = hiv+ period. Once you have symptoms, you will have all kind of diseases in your life the same diseases as if you were hiv+. Just because you tested negative, you are not classified as aids. but you sick with disease of aids. So I am pretty sure most of you have symptoms will die earlier than you would otherwise. That is really really sad. I don't think any of the doctors in here agrees with me, but if you could prove why there are symptoms after risky sex and tested negative on all available tests? Have you ever doubt about accuracy of those tests? or could there be a virus out there that we don't know about? And don't blame those symptoms on anxiety. Most people worry because of symptoms then go online search for the symptoms they have. This virus will pass on to the next person whom the infected person have sex with and the cycle goes on....symptoms=hiv-=diseases=die early..............

Response from Dr. Wohl

You are so wrong. I believe that most people who develop symptoms of HIV after a risky encounter despite being HIV negative do so because of worry, and your posting does not help. Most everyone is familiar with the most common signs of HIV and AIDS and, don't you know, that is exactly what they develop within DAYS sometimes of a risky encounter. Even symptoms that are exclusively found in those with very advanced AIDS and those related to HIV therapy and not the virus arise in such people, demonstrating the power of suggestion and the mind-body connection.

Before we had a viral load test people worried that the antibody testing was too indirect and could not be trusted. Now we have even better antibody assays and a viral load test that is sensitive and looks for the actual virus. These tests are accurate and are used to screen people for blood donation and transplantation.

For those for whom worry or guilt is not the root of the symptoms, other illnesses (including non-infectious conditions) may be at work. Therefore, fear of HIV should not blind individuals and their doctors to alternative diagnoses when HIV testing is negative.

Trust me, the diagnosis of HIV is no mystery. It requires no sixth sense of inference from symptoms. This virus is not a subtle or stealthy infection. It assaults the immune system and the immune system responds. That is reality. DW

Previous
im confused my situation regarding syphilis?
Next
Anxiety and HIV symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.