HIV risk during martial arts combat

Hello i'm from Greece and i'm a martial art student in a gym where there is a Thai coach. In discussions we had he told me that he had often unprotected sex back in his own country. He also likes sometime to cut himself!!!! The questions are if there are possible to spread hiv (if he is possitive) between students because of the sport (muay thai) which we often deal with open cuts and blood or with the boxing gloves we wear and often come in contact with other's person face. Is this person dangerous for us due to his ''strange'' past? Yesterday he demonstraded us scratces he made himself with a knife and immediately he touched my boxing gloves which later came in contact with my mouth!!!!Please help me i'm very worried and want to quit from training!! Thank you and sorry for my english

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for the questions,

After reading your submission, I can safely say that there wouldn't be any risk of getting HIV from your coach (or any of the other students for that matter). The only exception would be if two or more people have SEVERE open cuts and LOTS of blood gets into them. It doesn't sound like thats that case though at all. Also, there's NO RISK from simply touching each other or each other's equipment, no matter where that equipment's been.

There are few details to your story so let's walk through those together. I want to make sure you understand my response.

For HIV to be transmitted between we need HIV+ blood fluid to come out of someone's body and go directly/immediately inside of another person's body. You haven't described a case where that's happening, but if there does end up being a lot of blood during a fight try to avoid it just for sanitary reasons too. You need large open cuts and lots of blood. Unless you all are fighting with knives that's probably not going to happen.

That being said, you might want to check to see if the class has any emergency procedures for severe wounds and general safety. In a martial arts class the least of your concerns should be HIV.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Anxiety from possible risk and symptoms
Handjob with vaginal fluid & breast milk as lubricant