Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anxiety from possible risk and symptoms
Jan 18, 2012

I have been looking over the forum but didn't find the exact match I was looking for. Please Help. In mid Dec.'11, I took part in bad judgment at a strip bar. A stripper with unknown hiv status (although a competing stripper claimed she was hiv+) let me insert my finger into her and then I licked my finger immediately. A week later I was diagnosd with prostatitis for frequent urination, malaise and was put on cipro. It helped but when I went off it after the two week time period, I had same frequency of urination and swollen prostate and was put on Bactrim. I had a reaction maybe? (6 weeks past questioned exposure)which included a 100.2 fever lasted for a day and rash on chest, back, back of arms with rash and brusing on legs and (it hurt) near ankles. Was given Prednisone to help with rash. Loose bowel and loss of appetitite currently but I think those may be anxiety induced. Help, what relief do I have until the 3 month window is over and I can finally test? Does the rash confirm/ indicate a serovconversion??? Thanks so much in advance for your time! Trouble moving on with my life waiting. I did just take a home access hiv test (fda approved) and it was thankfully neg.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for the question!

After reading your entry it really DOESN'T SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE ANY RISK to speak of, even after reading all of the details. Why? Because we need there to be a significant amount of HIV+ body fluid leaving someone's body and going directly into yours. In this case there wasn't a significant amount of fluid, even if you licked vaginal fluid off your finger "immediately" it wasn't going directly into your body, and on top of all that, the mouth isn't really an effective way for HIV to enter your body.

Symptoms are never a good way to know if you have HIV. For the simple reason that so-called early "HIV symptoms" are so generic they could be caused by dozens of things. One of these causes is as you say: Anxiety.

I applaud you for recognizing your anxiety and how it could be playing a part in how you've been feeling. There is nothing wrong with being sexual or going to strip bars. Go out and enjoy your sexuality safely. It sounds like you already are.

If you find that your anxiety doesn't seem to leave, even after you can logically look at your situation and the information here. Perhaps this is less about HIV and more about things in your life that trigger these feelings? Something to think about.

Hope this helps! Erik

Previous
Was fine until i thought about Syphilis
Next
HIV risk during martial arts combat

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.